The Pharmacy Act, 2012 requires pharmacy students and interns to register with the Newfoundland and Labrador Pharmacy Board (NLPB). Registration of a student or intern confers upon them the right to perform tasks within the scope of practice of a pharmacist, but only under the direct supervision of a pharmacist.
For a complete list of currently registered students and interns, visit the NLPB Public Register.
Register as a Pharmacy Student
Pharmacy students registering for the first time are required to complete and submit the following application, along with required documentation:
Once registered, you can renew your registration each year through the NLPB Online Registrant Portal following the steps outlined on the Annual Registration Renewal page.
The deadline to register as a student, including the payment of fees, is September 30th of each year. The registration period is effective October 1-September 30.
For more information regarding registering and practicing as a pharmacy student, please review the Registration as a Pharmacy Student Interpretation Guide.
Apply for Practical Training
Pharmacy students wishing to apply for practical training can do so through the NLPB Online Registrant Portal.
- Before registering, you must have the name of your proposed preceptor and the dates for the planned practical training period.
- Click on “Registrant Login” on the website’s main menu and log in using your username and password.
- Under the “InStep” section, fill out the Application to Complete Practical Training.
- Once the request is submitted and approved, you will receive an email to confirm you may begin.
Register as a Pharmacy Intern
Pharmacy graduates who have not previously registered with NLPB will need to complete and submit an application to register and practice as a Pharmacy Intern.
Registration as a pharmacy intern is valid for the period of time specified in the certificate of registration. It is not subject to renewal but may be extended, as necessary. If you are a pharmacy intern and need to extend your initial registration as an intern, please complete and submit the following form:
For more information regarding registering and practicing as a pharmacy intern, please review the Registration as a Pharmacy Intern Interpretation Guide.
For additional resources, visit the Registration Requirements page.
For a list of applicable fees and timeline estimates, visit the Fees & Timelines page.
Choose a Preceptor
- Visit the NLPB Public Register to identify pharmacists authorized as preceptors.
- Pharmacy Interns are permitted to serve more than one practical training period with one preceptor.
- Pharmacy Interns are permitted to split the practical training period between two preceptors as long as they serve a minimum of 140 hours with each preceptor.
PLEASE NOTE: If your preceptor is leaving the pharmacy during your practical training period, please contact NLPB Registration and Licensing as soon as possible to discuss your options.